Pages

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Thanks but no thanks.

Never got the phone call today from my latest job interview. So many job descriptions say 'such and such' desirable not essential. Then you get there and they are so flipping essential it turns out. Could have saved me petrol money. Although its all good practice (practise????). For instance I now know to not have such a shocked expression when I am told the hourly rate for the job. Knew I blew it on that occasion, but gosh was it low.
My age doesn't help I think and the gap I had to care and bring up 'poor son' but gosh some of the jobs I've gone for a monkey could do. Obviously not as desirable as a monkey these days. And don't get me started on the attitude to being a single mum. I have returned to an age of sexism and ageism, unless it never actually went away and I've been out of the loop.
I have updated my accounts and IT knowledge and now do voluntary date input and am doing well there they have said, they are aware the work is brain numbing but have said I have shown initiative etc. Even the cv was done by a professional as a favour by a very sweet person.
Could it be that my heart is not in it. Deep down I want to remain my own boss but we desperately need a wage coming in. No job I have interviewed for has excited me but that's ok. Isn't it? I don't think that comes over - I knew the am dram stuff would come in handy.
I know I have skills it's just deciding what to do with them and how.

Oh and to top it all the story I submitted to People's Friend was rejected today. I don't flinch normally but I loved that story and the characters.

Never mind we are in good health, have enough food for the week(ish) and love each other very much. What more could an aged, unemployed, single parent ask for.

6 comments:

  1. Don't give up hope, there is a job out there somewhere for you. You are so right good health and love goes a long way, unfortunately it doesn't pay the bills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The right job will come along soon I'm sure. I think in this day and age it's more a case of who you know rather than what you know. Tomorrow ask every person you meet if they know of any jobs going, I'm sure someone will know of one not yet advertised. This is your mission should you choose to accept xxx Big hugsxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haaaaa gonna get some funny looks in the park tomorrow x

      Delete
  3. It's not easy job hunting. I went for so many Teaching Assistant jobs in the past I think I was well know around the local schools but there was always someone who had a bit more experience than me. Soooo frustrating.
    I also think ageism exists despite us living in a culture full of diversity.
    Keep going you will find something eventually.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Applied for one before bed and then just now. Plodding on

      Delete